The Dow Gardens were started in 1899 by Herbert Dow, founder of The Dow Chemical Company. The Gardens, originally developed on eight acres of flat, sandy land, provided a creative outlet for Herbert Dow’ and his interest in agriculture and design. He created gardens, ponds and hills according to a simple philosophy that we still follow to this day: “never reveal the gardens’ whole beauty at first glance.
The Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation is celebrating seventy-five years of philanthropy. The Foundation provides grants to qualifying organizations for religious, charitable, scientific, literary or educational purposes for the public benefaction of the inhabitants of the City of Midland and the people of the State of Michigan. The Foundation’s signature gift each year is the Dow Gardens as they share the family estate with the community and its visitors.