Flint Institute of Arts
The Flint Institute of Arts, also called FIA, is located in the Flint Cultural Center in Flint, Michigan. It offers exhibitions, interpretive programs, film screenings, concerts, lectures, family events and educational outreach programs to people of various ages, serving over 120,000 adults and children a year.
The Flint Institute of Arts was established in 1928 by leaders in the community who wanted a place where students could pursue art courses and the community could enjoy exhibitions. In 1958, FIA moved to its current location in the Flint Cultural Center. The current facility is 150,000 sq. ft., with over 25,000 sq. ft. of gallery space. Over the years, the Flint Institute of Arts has become one of Michigan’s largest fine arts museums.
The permanent collection includes more than 8,000 works of art. Highlights of the collection include 15th to 18th century English, French, and Italian decorative arts, a rare shaped panel by Peter Paul Rubens, American and French Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings, Hudson River School paintings, Regional and Great Lakes paintings, and Abstract Expressionist and Photorealist paintings. Some of the renowned artists that are featured in the collection are Auguste Renoir, John Singer Sargent, Mary Cassatt,Thomas Hart Benton, Andrew Wyeth, Duane Hanson, and Barbara Sorensen.
FIA also has multiple exhibitions that it puts on during the year. Some exhibitions that have been featured are Picasso, Richard Florsheim, Matthew Wead: Shooting Targets, and Judy Pfaff: Sculptures.