Canterbury Village, a designated historical landmark in the State of Michigan, extends over 21 acres on part of the old Scripps Farm. It is host to 18 specialty shops and wonderful features.
William Edmund Scripps, the son of the founder of the Detroit News and WWJ radio, started the farm as a “hobby”. The farmland of 3,000 acres was purchased by Scripps in 1916 from several different landowners. The farm delt mainly with angus cattle, cows, swine, sheep, and poultry. During the Depression years (1929-1939), the farmhands and mansion servants all lived on the property as well as the family. A small one-room schoolhouse for children of the farm employees was established in 1925, and in 1952 it was converted into a church.
When William Scripps died in 1952, much of the farm was sold at auction. A large part of the collection of Scripps’s European paintings from the estate were donated to the Detroit Institute of Arts in 1956.
The farmland and lakes are now mainly parks for Orion Township, Oakland County, and the state of Michigan. The original farmhouses and buildings are still part of Canterbury Village to this day.