Fisher Theatre History
The Fisher Theatre opened as a movie and vaudeville house on November 11, 1928. It featured Mexican-Indian art, banana trees, a goldfish pond and wandering macaws that audience members fed by hand.
Remodeled as a live theatre in 1961 under management of the Nederlander Theatrical Corporation, the Fisher is now adorned with marble, Indian rosewood and walnut paneling, and crystal and bronze decorative work. The original 3,500 seats were scaled down to 2,089 to ensure an intimate atmosphere and optimal sightlines.
Over the last 50 years, the Fisher Theatre has been a favorite venue of many of Broadway’s brightest stars, like Mary Martin, Carol Channing, Joel Grey, Bernadette Peters and Lynn Redgrave, and hosted the world premieres of HELLO DOLLY, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, SWEET CHARITY and GOLDEN BOY.
The Nederlander Family
The Nederlander theatre legacy began with David Tobias (D.T.) Nederlander, son of a Detroit cigar maker. Beginning in 1912, D.T. managed the Detroit Opera House on Cadillac Square, where the brightest stars of the era appeared, including the Barrymores, Eddie Cantor, Al Jolson and the Ziegfeld Follies. He later operated the Shubert and Cass theatres, featuring such headliners as Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Gloria Swanson, Rex Harrison and Bette Davis.
In 1961, D.T. and his sons began managing and booking productions for the newly redesigned Fisher Theatre, which was a success from the start. There, they built the country’s largest subscription audience and hosted many shows that were on their way to Broadway. Today the Nederlander family owns and operates theatres in Detroit, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, San Jose and London, England.